Libmonster ID: NG-668
Author(s) of the publication: V. VITYAZEVA
Educational Institution \ Organization: St. Petersburg State University

Soaring up into the grey northern sky of St. Petersburg, like radiant blue torches, are the minarets of the city's Central Mosque. The austere background of the granite revetment serves to accentuate their geometry and monumental dimensions. The majolica turquoise of the round conical central dome of the mosque is in harmony with the bright oriental colorscheme of the carpet-like decor of the portals, embroidered with the Arabic script of suras from the Koran. This gem of the northern modernist architectural style has harboured a puzzle for many long years. This puzzle was a strange combination of dates inscribed on the main portal: February 23, 1910 and April 30, 1920. The first is the date of the ceremony of laying the foundation stone of the temple. But what about the second? It does not fit the opening of religious services in the mosque, which was in 1913, or the completion of its construction (as historians tell us, the building was finished not in 10, but just in 3 to 4 years only).

Pages. 82


While dealing with this chronological puzzle our experts have relied on documents from the archives of the State Museum of the History of Religion which were not revealed until 1995. These take us back to the foundation ceremony which was timed to the 25th anniversary of the reign of Emir Abdul-Akhat-Khan of Bukhara. Thanks to his cultural interests and background, combined with effective aid and assistance, the northern capital of Russia acquired a mosque designed and built in accordance with the rules of what experts call the "golden crosssection" and suffused with the genuine ascetic spirituality of Islam.

The construction of the central city mosque was quite an event in the life of the Moslem community of St. Petersburg which had more than 8 thousand members at that time. And the event had been preceded by the Russian conquest of Central Asia (1864- 1873), and its gaining control over the Great Cotton Way which was of vital importance for the textile industry of the postreformist Russia. By that time there was appeared mounting interest among the general public and in the scholarly circles towards the culture of the Orient and its contribution to the development of universal civilization. Systematic studies were started of the history of the Golden Horde, Turkestan and the Khanate of Khiva.

In November 1884 the St. Petersburg University, together with a specially established Archeographic Commission, sent on an expedition to Central Asia Nikolai \eselovsky, an archeologist and orientalist who later became Corresponding Member of the St. Petersburg Academy of Sciences. Having discovered during his travels monuments dating back to the Antiquity, he became the first student of the Samarkand architecture of the Middle Ages. He completed his studies in 1905 with the publication of an atlas called "The Mosques of Samarkand". Since that time the grandiose architectural structures of the Timur-Tamerlane epoch took a place in the history of world culture similar to that of the Moslem monuments in Spain.

In January 1906 the then Minister of the Interior, Pyotr Stolypin, authorized the establishment of a special committee in charge of the construction of a Central or "Cathedral" Mosque in St. Petersburg. A contest of architectural projects was conducted under the patronage of the Emir of Bukhara. The indispensable conditions included: observance of the oriental style, austere interior (decor void of any images of living beings); having a (musicians') gallery of two tiers and having an additional hall in the basement for the faithful to celebrate annual Moslem feasts. The facing of the walls had to be of natural stone only. The mosque had to be crowned with a dome and there had to be two minarets, which could be of different height.

The contest was one of the most representative ones in the history of the St. Petersburg Imperial Society of Architects and a total of 45 projects were submitted. The results were summed up on March 11, 1908 with the First Prize being awarded to three of the contestants at one and the same time: N. 'Vasilyev, M. Lyalevich and M. Peretyatkovich. But for the actual construction

Pages. 83


Pages. 84


experts recommended just one of the designs submitted by N. ^Vasilyev under the title of "Tamerlane".

The architect suggested using for wall facing blocks of granite, and the decor in the cupolas of the mosque, its minarets and portals was to be of majolica. Its commercial production was started in 1906 at the "Geldwein-Waulin" workshop located in Kikirino near St. Petersburg (now the GORN factory of ceramics) on rich deposits of blue Cambrian clay. In order to avoid any frivolities in the making of majolica decor, the head master of the workshop, specialist in ceramics P. Waulin, dispatched to Turkestan a painter P. Maksimov. As a result the workshop specialists were able to reproduce the medieval technique of making Oriental carved majolica.

The project was put into its final shape with the assistance of specially invited highly professional specialists: A. von Gogen and architect S. Krichinsky They produced what was called a "structural blend" of the two prize-winning designs of the mosque produced by N. Visilyev - the "Tamerlane" and the "Arabesques". Borrowed from the first were the shape of the dome, portal and the minarets, which were moved into a by-street, and also the general "Samarkandian" air of the temple. Taken from the second project was the general plan, the shaping of the central massif and of the lengthwise facade. Moving the parade vestibule with the flanking minarets from the main western facade to the northern one served to increase the length of the building from 38 to 47.5 m. The minarets were placed on both sides of the entrance for women.

The final architectural project of the mosque was submitted to City Council on December 14,1908 and a certificate authorizing the preparations for the construction was obtained on April 3, 1909. At the same time the project was submitted for expert assessment to the Imperial Academy of Fine Arts where it received general endorsement. The only objection concerned the proposed building site-the Kronwerk Prospekt (avenue). All of the experts reasonably argued that building a mosque near the first Orthodox site of St. Peters-burg-the Church of the Holy Trinity, and next to the country- house of Peter the Great - would break up the historical continuity of the oldest city quarter.

The ceremony of laying the foundation stone was held on February 10, 1910. It was opened by a writer and publicist, Doctor of Theology, editor and publisher of Russia's first Moslem newspaper "Nur", A. Bayazitov He said: "...Our mosque will be beautiful and will do a service to the city with its architecture and beauty Neither Paris, nor London have mosques like the one which there will be in St. Petersburg."

In May 1910 German architect and contractor G. Kami started preparations for the facing of the building for which he rented in Finland a deposit of "kovantsar" granite and light-grey tiurulian gneisses. The contractor approached the selection of facing materials with a profound understanding of the architectural role of the new structures which were being built near the historic Troitskaya (Trinity) Square.

When masonry and ferro-concrete structures were being installed the contractors were closely watching the quality of these operations and their timely completion. For sculptural details (reinforcement belts, cornices,

Pages. 85


medallions and ornamental compositions) gypsum models were first produced in keeping with the blueprints of the architects. The bulk of the construction was completed by the year's end. Problems arose with the roof, hidden behind low parapets as is typical for Moslem cult buildings. In the cold and humid climate of St. Petersburg the roof and drains required complex engineering solutions so that their location, profiles and fixings would not spoil the general aesthetics of the building.

In 1911 the builders completed the installation of the ferro-concrete dome, started the granite facing of the facade and produced decorative Arabic inscriptions from the Koran. In August of that year N. Vasilyev designed a two-storey service wing - the house of ablutions. Apart from the special rooms required by the religious traditions, the building contained a boiler room for heating of the whole mosque and rooms for service staff. The construction was completed in the autumn of 1913.

And although the building construction was still in progress, the first prayer service was conducted in the new mosque on February 21, 1913 to commemorate the 300 years of the reign of the Romanovs Family, which was attended by the Emir of Buhara and the Khan of Khiva.

In 1914 the granite facing of the southern facade was completed as well as the majolica facing of the mihrab* niche in the central hall. The parquette flooring was finished on the second and third floors, and marble floors were installed on the parade stairs. After that the builders replaced temporary windows in wooden frames with those in metal ones. And the most important thing-they installed in the central hall the large chandelier which was nearly 3 m in diameter and about 5 m high. It was made of platinum-plated bronze and contained 80 candles with opal, or milky glass, decor. The main chandelier is designed in the form of a flat ornamented cup with 16 hanging twin openwork lamps and its bronze frame is decorated with ornamental Arabic script of quotations from the Koran.

With the outbreak of World War I (1914) the finishing trimming of the building went on at a slower pace because of shrinking donations, soaring taxes and because many of the workmen were called up into the army. In order to raise the necessary funds visitors to the mosque had to pay an entrance fee as of September 1914. And the trimming of the portals went on with the use of earlier accumulated materials. This was because the ceramics factory where these materials had been produced was switched to the production of military ammunition for the front as of 1916 and later all of the factory equipment was destroyed in a big fire (in 1917). As a result the majolica lining of the interior could not be completed although it can still be fully reproduced today from the original drawings in the process of the forthcoming restoration of the mosque.

In 1918 the builders continued replacing the temporary glazing with permanent one, but the work came to a sudden halt when all of the accounts were arrested later that year. But no matter what, regular services began in the mosque on April 30, 1920. In 1921 a large handmade floor carpet for the central hall (of about 400 m 2 ) was brought from Bukhara - the final gift of the Emir of Bukhara, which became the central element of the ritual decor of the mosque.


* Mihrab - an ornamental niche in the wall of a mosque indicating the direction to Mecca . - Ed.

Pages. 86


Pages. 87


In 1921 a porch was attached to the building and in 1923 an iron latticed fencing (architect S. Krichinsky) was built on a granite- faced brick foundation. Later on they planted all around the temple walls maples, lime-trees, birches, lilacs, acacias and dogroses.

Preserved among the documents of that time has been a petition of May 17, 1921, sent to the Sovnarkom (Soviet of People's Commissars) by the Building Committee and requesting "...a permission for two Committee members to go to Finland for the formal acceptance of the building parts and materials required for the completion of the construction; these materials had been ordered even before the war and the order has now been fulfilled. Without these building supplies the construction could not be finished up to this time..." What the whole problem must have been about are granite slabs for the porch of the entrance for women and the foundation of the metal fence around the mosque. But the request remained unanswered.

In 1924 the authorities conducted a distrait of the mosque property and some of it was confiscated. In June 1940 there came an official ban on religious services in the mosque. These were resumed in the 1950s in reply to numerous petitions from members of the local Moslem community (which numbered 15 thousand at that time). Their petitions were supported by some of the foreign leaders (of the same faith) belonging to the Internal Liberation Movement, including President Sukarno of Indonesia and Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru of India. From 1955 and to this day the mosque has been what they call a religious- educational center which combines worship with studies of the Koran and the Arabic and Tatar languages.

In 1968 the Central Mosque received the formal status of an architectural monument and is now protected by the state. But its general appearance today is strikingly different from the original concepts because of numerous losses and alterations. Confiscated in 1924-1928 from the property of the mosque were the main large carpet, four bronze lanterns, three chandeliers and some pieces of furniture. In the 1930s, 1950s and 1970s there were alterations in the structure of the roof which upset its geometry and the original system of drains-something which affected the granite and majolica facing. In the 1940s the original carved wooden folding doors of the northern and eastern portals were replaced with iron ones. Certain fragments of the majolica ornaments of the northern and eastern portals were lost in the 1950s.

The aforesaid circumstances have precipitated a progressing erosion of the facing so that in 1996 the original majolica was replaced with what is called technical porcelain. This altered not only certain technical, but also aesthetic characteristics of the structure.

Summing it up, this remarkable architectural monument was in the design stage in 1907-1909, construction work, started in 1909, went on till 1918 and was completed in 1921. But the interior of the mosque still remains unfinished. The list of these dates can be augmented with yet another one-in 1956 the mosque was returned to the Moslem community of St. Petersburg.

The newly found archive documents make it possible to translate into reality the plans of the author and reveal to the world this unique gem of the "Silver Age" of our architecture.


© elib.ng

Permanent link to this publication:

https://elib.ng/m/articles/view/MINARETS-OVER-THE-NEVA

Similar publications: LFederal Republic of Nigeria LWorld Y G


Publisher:

Nigeria OnlineContacts and other materials (articles, photo, files etc)

Author's official page at Libmonster: https://elib.ng/Libmonster

Find other author's materials at: Libmonster (all the World)GoogleYandex

Permanent link for scientific papers (for citations):

V. VITYAZEVA, MINARETS OVER THE NEVA // Abuja: Nigeria (ELIB.NG). Updated: 11.09.2018. URL: https://elib.ng/m/articles/view/MINARETS-OVER-THE-NEVA (date of access: 19.02.2026).

Publication author(s) - V. VITYAZEVA:

V. VITYAZEVA → other publications, search: Libmonster NigeriaLibmonster WorldGoogleYandex

Comments:



Reviews of professional authors
Order by: 
Per page: 
 
  • There are no comments yet
Related topics
Publisher
Nigeria Online
Abuja, Nigeria
636 views rating
11.09.2018 (2717 days ago)
0 subscribers
Rating
0 votes
Related Articles
This article examines freestyle skiing as a dynamic winter sport that combines traditional skiing techniques with aerial acrobatics and high-speed maneuvers. Based on analysis of Olympic history, disciplinary specifications, and competitive developments, the article reconstructs the evolution of freestyle skiing from its countercultural origins in the 1960s to its current status as one of the most spectacular disciplines of the Winter Olympics. Particular attention is devoted to the seven distinct disciplines comprising the sport, their scoring methodologies, the technological evolution of equipment, and the star athletes who have shaped the sport's development. The upcoming Milan Cortina 2026 Winter Games, featuring the debut of dual moguls and the addition of a fifteenth medal event, serve as the focal point for examining contemporary freestyle skiing.
17 hours ago · From Nigeria Online
This article presents a detailed chronological biography of Jeffrey Epstein, the American financier and convicted sex offender whose life and death continue to reverberate through global politics and elite circles. Based on comprehensive analysis of court documents, investigative journalism, and official records, this chronology reconstructs Epstein's trajectory from a middle-class Brooklyn upbringing to the heights of Wall Street and international power networks. Particular attention is devoted to the critical junctures that enabled his decades-long criminal enterprise, the controversial 2008 plea deal, his 2019 arrest and mysterious death, and the ongoing release of documents that has exposed the breadth of his connections.
2 days ago · From Nigeria Online
In this article, the question of the causes of Jeffrey Epstein's years-long impunity, the American financier accused of organizing a network of sexual exploitation of minors, is examined. Based on an analysis of the chronology of investigations, court documents, and expert conclusions, a mechanism is reconstructed that allowed the offender to avoid real punishment for more than one and a half decades. Special attention is paid to the factors that ensured his impunity: privileged social status, ties to the elites, corrupt deals with prosecutors, and systemic deficiencies of the American justice system.
2 days ago · From Nigeria Online
In this article, the mountain system of Kyrgyzstan is examined as a unique geographical object that defines the hydrological, climatic, and cultural landscape of the region. Based on analysis of orographic data, glaciological studies, and historical evidence, the complex structure of the Tian Shan and Pamir-Alay is reconstructed, forming more than ninety percent of the republic's territory. Particular attention is given to the highest peaks—the Peak Pobedy and Khan Tengri, glacier complexes, as well as the processes connecting the cryosphere with the water security of the entire Central Asian region.
3 days ago · From Nigeria Online
This article examines the question of the number of human casualties associated with the use of the Kalashnikov assault rifle throughout its history. Based on an analysis of available statistical estimates, historical evidence, and expert conclusions, a range of plausible figures is reconstructed, and the methodological difficulties of such counts are explored. Particular attention is paid to comparing various sources, annual lethality figures, and the AK's place among other weapons in terms of lethality.
3 days ago · From Nigeria Online
This article examines the complex of Georgia's attractions, formed at the intersection of geological processes, historical eras, and cultural influences. Based on the analysis of tourist routes, archaeological data, and architectural monuments, the unique character of the country is reconstructed, where, on a relatively small territory, UNESCO World Heritage sites, relic landscapes, and active sacred centers are concentrated. Special attention is given to the phenomenon of cave cities, the winemaking tradition, and the contrast between the urban aesthetics of Tbilisi and the rugged nature of the Greater Caucasus.
3 days ago · From Nigeria Online
This article discusses the complex relationship between the biblical narrative of Noah's Ark and the geographical object known as Mount Ararat. Based on analysis of historical evidence, archaeological expeditions, and contemporary geophysical research, the evolution of ideas about the location of the biblical vessel's final resting place is reconstructed. Particular attention is paid to the phenomenon of the 'Ararat Anomaly', the Durupinar geostructure, and the long-standing debate between the scientific community and Bible enthusiasts.
Catalog: География 
4 days ago · From Nigeria Online
This article examines the complex relationship between the biblical narrative of Noah's Ark and the geographical feature known as Mount Ararat. Based on an analysis of historical evidence, archaeological expeditions, and modern geophysical research, the evolution of ideas concerning the final resting place of the biblical vessel is reconstructed. Particular attention is devoted to the phenomenon of the "Ararat Anomaly," the Durupinar geological structure, and the long-standing debate between the scientific community and biblical enthusiasts.
Catalog: География 
4 days ago · From Nigeria Online
Open parking with a canopy as a factor in preserving the car.
6 days ago · From Nigeria Online
And, after all, when will humans master the Moon?
6 days ago · From Nigeria Online

New publications:

Popular with readers:

News from other countries:

ELIB.NG - Nigerian Digital Library

Create your author's collection of articles, books, author's works, biographies, photographic documents, files. Save forever your author's legacy in digital form. Click here to register as an author.
Library Partners

MINARETS OVER THE NEVA
 

Editorial Contacts
Chat for Authors: NG LIVE: We are in social networks:

About · News · For Advertisers

Nigerian Digital Library ® All rights reserved.
2023-2026, ELIB.NG is a part of Libmonster, international library network (open map)
Preserving the Nigerian heritage


LIBMONSTER NETWORK ONE WORLD - ONE LIBRARY

US-Great Britain Sweden Serbia
Russia Belarus Ukraine Kazakhstan Moldova Tajikistan Estonia Russia-2 Belarus-2

Create and store your author's collection at Libmonster: articles, books, studies. Libmonster will spread your heritage all over the world (through a network of affiliates, partner libraries, search engines, social networks). You will be able to share a link to your profile with colleagues, students, readers and other interested parties, in order to acquaint them with your copyright heritage. Once you register, you have more than 100 tools at your disposal to build your own author collection. It's free: it was, it is, and it always will be.

Download app for Android